Sent June 10, 2013
Hello!!! What a great week it was! Thank you so much for all of the birthday wishes, packages, and letters. They were much appreciated! This week has been a glorious one as always :) but there is so much more work we need to do.
So, June 8, my birthday. One of the greatest days of my life! We started the day as normal and just went to work! I wont go through a play by play but just hit the highlights.
There is a really less-active sister in the ward that hasn't been to church for 15-20 years, Sister Puerta. I have been working with a member of the ward, Sis Lee, for over a month to set something up with her so we could meet and talk about her, her life, her family, and the gospel! Finally, she came through and said she could meet on Saturday at 5 at a park. So we went to the park, Sis Lee came as well, and Sister Puerta then showed. She got out of the car and then helped her two kids out. Amaya is 8 and is super pretty and shy. Julian is 13 and is severely autistic and non-verbal. I almost started crying as I watched this mother gently love and care for her son. He immediately started walking towards the playground and Elder Davis walked over there with him while Sister Lee talked to Sister Puerta. Julian is so amazing. But we got to the point where we sat down and started talking. I can tell you that this experience was a turning point in my mission. I had not quite yet felt that level of Charity for a person and her family. Sister Puerta also has a 16 year old that is slightly autistic and suffers from depression. She has so much that she has to work through. She is an incredible mother and person. We bore testimony of our Heavenly Father's and Savior's love for her and her family. The Spirit was so strong and we all sat there with tears in our eyes. I could feel Heavenly Father's love for her, for her family. It will take some time and many steps for her and her family to get fully immersed in the gospel of Jesus Christ, but I pray with all that I have that we will be able to continue to help them.
Next, we went to another family, the Macks. Michael is an ex-marine and was a convert when he was 16. But he hasn't been to church for a long time. His girlfriend is Shane, and they have two kids Adin, and Elithia. They aren't married yet but they have been together for three years. We met them last week, had our first lesson this week, and this was our second visit to them. When we came to their house they were happy to see us and let us right in! It was such a miracle because we have been struggling to find people who will keep commitments and they kept all of their commitments! Shane is reading the book of mormon, they are praying together as a couple, and they also started having family meals together! They are also going to come to church this sunday! I love them and I am so happy that we have the opportunity to be a part of their lives. Their family has so much potential!
Then, the last lesson of the night, we went to Mary Hawley's house. She is a referral we recieved from the Spanish Elders and they said she was super solid and ready to get baptized! They put her on date for june 29 and set up a lesson with her for us at 2:00. We went by at 2:00, no one home. That has been happening to us a lot so we were a little upset. But after we went to the Macks, we felt like we needed to try and see her that night. Bro. Miller was with us so we all drove to her house. She opened the door right up and acted like she was expecting us. She apologized for not being home earlier. We sat down and got right into the gospel. I have not met someone yet on my mission that has been this prepared for the gospel. She has been to church twice before with a friend in Issaquah. The Spirit was so strong in the lesson, Bro. Miller told us after it was one of the most spiritual experiences of his life. We talked about the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the Commandments. We covered a lot but the Spirit was guiding. She was smiling, crying, and adding her own testimony the whole time. She is so prepared. She is now on date for June 15th, this Saturday!! She came to church yesterday and LOVED it!! She is already 1/4 through the Book of Mormon! I testify to all of you that God IS and FOREVER WILL BE a GOD OF MIRACLES!!!
Best birthday ever.
We have one more week in the transfer and three more weeks as the Washington Seattle Mission. Never in my life have I had such a great desire to be an instrument in the Lord's hands. There is so much work for us to do. So many people that need saved. President Larkin is giving everything he possibly can until the very end. I love him so much and I will serve with him with all of my heart, might mind, and strength! I was reading in the Book of Mormon and there is a scripture in the beginning of 3 Nephi that says (cant remember the exact quote) that if we want to be able to work miracles in the name of our Savior we must rid ourselves of all iniquity. I have never has such a desire to rid myself of all ungodliness, to take up my cross, and to BE LIKE MY SAVIOR. It is all I really want. I will continue to strive with everything that I have to do this.
So just so you are aware, dont freak out its no biggie, but I have been having back problems this last week, and in church yesterday both my hands went numb at different times. But I talked to a doctor on the phone this morning and he suspects it is just pulled muscles and pinched nerves in my back. I just have to relax instead of exercise in the morning, take Aleve, and try and have good posture. He said it should go away within a month. Lets hope!
Well I know you all wrote me letters and emails and such but I am having a hard time remembering of there was anything I needed to reply to, or answer. So I am sorry if I didnt!
I love you all so much! Thank you. I am so grateful for all of the love and support that you show me! Continue to be examples for the world! Continue to strive to be more like our Savior! I know this is the work of the Lord and it is our greatest responsibility to preach the gospel! Pray for opportunites to share the gospel with someone, to brighten someones day, and to bring happiness into someone's life. We will go and work miracles in the name of the Lord this week in White River and the Washington Seattle Mission! I love you!!
Elder Cook
No comments:
Post a Comment