Received July 15, 2013
Hey everyone :) I was super happy to hear about all of the fun that you guys have been having. I loved that picture of M and add and brig soaking wet. There have been quite a few times where I have been that wet, just like I jumped into a swimming pool in my shirt and tie haha. Dad is done working in Logan, wow. Thats crazy. Im glad you guys had so much fun on that trip. Brynne and Clark, sounds like Clark loved the camping a little bit more than brynne ;) haha. I am so happy that all is so well at home :)
So right after I emailed you last week we got word from the Zone Leaders that we are now to work solely on the Reservation! That helps me out a lot cause it was really hard to try and know what they expected out of us when we were doing both Game Farm and the Rez. So now we can just focus on building this branch!!!!
The rez is the best. I have never been so excited every morning to go out to my area and talk to eveyone I see. It is way different than a "white people" area. These people have never really had to be committed to something like the gospel before in their lives. They don't really understand our purpose as missionaries is to help them change their lives FOREVER. But a lot of them are really nice and open with us. So there are many things we have to overcome, but how glorious will it be when we see a branch established amongst this branch of the House of Israel. :) that is what keeps me going. A lot of the times I feel like I don't know what needs to be done in order for us to help these people. I ask myself many questions each day. But I have learned this week that MUCH patience is going to be required. I must find joy in the little things, and the Lord will provide the way for the big things to happen. I know that by small and simple things, great things are brought to pass, and that is what it is going to be like here. I LOVE IT :)
2 Ne 33 is now battling 3 Ne 11 and Enos 1 for my favorite chapter in the BoM.
SLIM MOMENT OF THE WEEK: So I am including some pictures of some of my friends on the rez. They are the craziest kids on the planet haha. But anyways, my favorite kid is definitley the chubbiest one, Marshall. Greatest kid in the world. He is six years old. But one day we were playing basketball with them and he didn't really want to play but I wanted him to be on my team. So I gave him the position of standing behing the hoop and shaking it every time the other team shot. He loved this. He would just sit there holding the pole and whenever a kid on Elder Ereksons team put the ball up, he would shake it and knock it out, then he would just laugh. It was hilarious. I love these kids :) when I asked them to take a picture with me they asked why and I told them that I lived in Idaho and that I wanted my family to see them. Well one of the girls, Mary Jane, thought I said I was going home to Idaho and she got super sad until I confirmed to her that I wasn't going to leave for a while. We then played tag and Marshall attached to my leg, (you know how kids do and then you walk around with them on your leg), and I literally couldnt move haha.
So, we got news this past week that it is going to be a 5 week transfer because they dont want us on the same transfer cycle as the Seattle mission. So transfers are on Monday, a week from today, just so you know. But I don't think I am going anywhere for a while.
We had our first interviews with President Eaton this past week! I love that man with all my heart. It was a great interview. He first talked with Elder Erekson and I together about the Muckleshoots. We talked about how it would be a lot different than normal, how it would take a lot of patience, how we would have to trust in the Lord, and how much these people need the gospel. He was super excited for us. In his words, we are "serving in our own little nation." Haha And its true. I love so much that the Lord has trusted me with this. It has been the hardest thing ever but I know that there are many great things in store. During my personal interview with President Eaton we talked about it all for a while and then he just said, "you are the man for this." The spirit confirmed in that moment that I was where the Lord needed me. I don't know how long I will get to serve here, hopefully it is for a long time, but I know that this is one of the reasons I was called to Seattle and Federal Way. I hope and pray every day that I can be the instrument the Lord needs in building His kingdom amongst these people!
Pres. Miles and Pres. Rodarte have both committed to having everything finalized by Aug. 4 so that we can have our first meeting on the reservation on that day! This needs to happen! Once we set that foundation and start getting in with the tribe the work will explode here. We have talked to a few people at the Tribal offices and given them our information. I read about Ammon this week and had some strong insights that we really needed to focus on serving them and gaining their trust, and that will start with the Tribal Leaders themselves. If we can get their support, this place will set on fire! So we are working with Sis. Rodarte, a super converted lady that has been on and around the reservation almost her whole life, to get involved with the tribe and serve them in any way that we can! I have said it many times, there is so much work to go, there is a long raod ahead of us, but I know that if this is what the Lord wants, then it will happen :)
Thats just a little bit about how the work is going here! Elder Erekson and I both got sick this week, but we are both about over it.
I love you all so much! :) Thank you for everything! I am excited to get back to work this week! :)
Elder Cook
P.S. Any tips on writing newspaper articles (Gran or Aunt Kathy, haha) would be appreciated. I will be writing one for the Muckeshoot newspaper every month!


No comments:
Post a Comment