Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Email 35: Sean & Danyale + Kayli's Prayer

Sent on September 16, 2013

Hello everyone! Thanks for all of your emails! Great to hear that the Aggies won. And I am so happy that you are all so happy.
My testimony of the converting power of the gospel and the Atonement was strengthened so much this week. I don't know if you remember me talking about Sean and Danyale from White River at the beginning of  my mission. Well they were the first house that I ever went into as a missionary on my first night in the mission. They had so many struggles and trials before them. The lives they were living were very far from a life in accordance with the commandments. They were having serious problems. We tried to teach them and help them but they would never really commit themselves to it and just had to many problems. So for the three transfers I was there I taught them off and on. When Elder Davis and I were together in WR, Sean and Danyale were separated and Sean was in jail, and they had just had a newborn son together (not married). Danyale was at such low point and there was almost no happiness in her life. Over the past three months or so though, Elder Davis and his companions have been teaching them and helping them. Sean got home, they moved out and found a new apartment, and they gave the gospel a serious shot. This saturday, Sean and Danyale were married and Danyale was baptized. Sean will be baptized as soon as he is off parole.  What a miracle. A miracle that I know only the power of the Atonement could produce. They are so happy now. They are free from the bondages that were holding them down. And they are preparing to enter into the temple someday. Such a great story :)
Last night, a a mission, there was a "New-Convert Fireside" at the Auburn Stake Center. We took Kayli to it with Sister Rodarte. Not only that, but we arranged for Kayli to say the closing prayer! She went up there and got scared so Sister Rodarte helped her. Her prayer was so beautiful. When she whispered the words "Heavenly Father" into the microphone you could just feel her light. The meeting was super powerful as recent converts throughout the mission bore their testimony of the gospel, Atonement, Restoration, and church. Lots of my great friends that I have served alongside were there and to be reunited with them for a couple hours and see the people that we have all come to love continue to build their testimonies was more than glorious ;)
The work is going slow! But we see little and big miracles every week. It is hard to know sometimes if you are really doing all that you can. I want to be giving it everything and more, but I am just trying not to be hard on myself when things happen that are out of my control. All we can do is show our love, serve diligently and obediently, and let the spirit help them use their agency wisely! Lots to do, long ways to go. But I am down for it!
Just want to share a few thoughts with you that I have learned this week and that have strengthened me! On the topic of grace. I was reading in this months issue of the Ensign "How Grace Really Works."
That, along with scripture study has helped me gain new light on the Savior's Grace and its purpose and our responsibility with it. It is all about transformation. It is all about change. We must first realize that the debt has already been paid in full, nothing that we do is going to pay the debt for our sins. Jesus Christ already did that. So then why do we need to do anything? If Christ already paid the debt? One statement that is made in the article is that we already know from the scriptures that no unclean thing can dwell with God, but also, no unchanged  thing will even want to. We will not be comfortable there unless with are as clean as He is. When we understand grace, we discover the reason He requires so much and we find the strength to do all that He asks. In Moroni 10:32-33 it teaches that we can "be perfected in Him." His Grace is sufficient to perfect us. Change is an ongoing process and repentance must be a pattern of our lives. As we understand the Savior's grace will always be there then we can "continue in patience until we are perfected" (D&C 67:13) No matter what we do, we cannot pay the debt, we dont need to. Our repentance, good works, suffering, and obedience don't pay the debt. They help us change. They allow the Savior's grace to be our constant energy source, fueling our change from natural man to Christlike saints. Exaltation is not just a state you achieve because you passed the minimal requirements. It is achieved by those who become like our Heavenly Father. Exaltation is who you are, and God's Grace and the Savior's Grace are how you become.
So... be so happy with who you are, be humble in your weaknesses always realizing your eternal potential. Be patient with your imperfections, and rely on the Savior, by the power of His Grace, to change, transform, and save you as you do all that you can to live the way He has asked.
I love this work and this gospel more than anything. I am happy! I love you all with all of my heart. I hope you can feel that. I am grateful for you all. I am praying for you and I hope you have a great week!!
Elder Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment