Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Email 33: First Baptism + Nehemiah + Competative

Sent on September 2, 2013

Hoi! Hello! How are you all?! What an incredible week it was :) Transfers! First one on my mission where nothing has changed! That is great. Elder Lynch have some great things going and are planning on following the Lord and goin bigtime this next transfer! Hoof. 


Kayli's baptism was awesome!! The room was full! We had over ten investigators at the baptism and 15 at church! Holy. We also combined the baptism with the Game Farm Elders so there were two people that got baptized! President and Sister Eaton came as well! Kayli asked me to perform the baptism and it was the best ever. When she came out of the water there was just the sweetest feeling in that font. I love her so much, She is an incredible girl with a lot of potential. She doesnt live in very good circumstances at all. So I am just praying that she will continue to learn and grow in the gospel little by little and it will change her eternity. I love the gospel :)

Another incredible story! So the Auburn Sisters that are in my district have been working with this investigator for the past about 5 weeks. His name is Nehemiah. He is 21, African-American. Just a straight boss. He has teh coolest haircut in the world. Corn-rows on the side and a mohawk on top. But he has the best heart. He was in a bad spot earlier in his life and his turn to Jesus Christ through another church is what saved him. I have never known an investigator yet that follows the spirit more. He knows how to follow the good feelings he gets. But he really loves his other pastor and his other church and so does his family. So he had been experiencing some family opposition. The day that he had been working for to be baptized was Sept. 1, SundayOn Friday night he made the decision that he was going to do it, then after talking with his mom he changed his mind and decided against it for now. I had talked with the Sisters earlier in the week and we had set his interview up for saturday night. So the sisters just asked him if he would come and do the interview and see how he felt. So Saturday night I got to interview him and it was incredible. We talked about his life, his beliefs, his passions and desires. We talked about faith and the gospel and the church and the witnesses from the spirit that he had gotten. Earlier in the week I had the prompting that he needed to hear D&C 6:21-23. So in the interview the spirit was there but he was still confused about whether he should be baptized or not. I read those scriptures to him and then sat in silence as he pondered. Then he asked me to read them again. After I read them a second time, he said, "That same thing happened to me a couple nights ago." He told me how he had been praying and just an overwhelming peace came over him. Just as the scripture said we casted upon the night when the spirit spoke peace to his soul. I then had him say a prayer right then and ask Heavenly Father if he should be baptized. He said a simple, humble prayer and we sat in silence for about a minute. I asked him, "how do you feel?" He said, "It is the right thing to do." Nehemiah was baptized and confirmed the next day!! I am so grateful to have been a part of that. To witness our Heavenly Father reaching to one of His beloved children and answering his humble prayer. I am so grateful for Nehemiah. He will always be an example to me!

God truly did bless our district this transfer! Everyone in the district helped someone to be baptized and we had a total of 6 baptisms! The Auburn Zone had 15 over the last 5 weekends! The Lord is with us here and we must continue to be humble, obedient, and diligent!!

SLIM MOMENT:
-so Elder Lynch and I were at a less-active natives house named Rosemary. We were playing basketball with her grandsons. One of them is like 5 and his name is Payton. Well He hadnt been playing with us but after we were done he wanted to try shooting. So Elder Lynch was pretending to guard him and he was laughing and dribbling towards the hoop. He finally got there and got the ball set and threw it up to the hoop. Elder Lynch decides to go beast mode on the 5 year old and just swats the ball about twenty yards into the lawn. It was all right cause Payton just laughed haha. We are still competitive dont worry! 

I love you all so much! I know this gospel is true! It is changing my life and many others. I love it with all my heart. I love Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I love the Book of Mormon. And I love the Work of Salvation. Continue to be a light for all of those around you. Live the gospel to the fullest. Faith, Repentance, and making and keeping covenants are a pattern of life. I love you all. I pray for you all and for all of our family! Have a great week!

Elder Cook


No comments:

Post a Comment