Monday, April 28, 2014

Email 64: 8 questions + His coming + Priesthood Session


Received on April 7, 2014

Hello all! Wasn't General Conference the best ever? Goodness. It was amazing to me! I had 8 questions going into it. This morning i went back through the notes at looked back at the questions and at things that had a * by them (that means it was revelation) and I had recorded a specific answer for all 8 questions. Incredible. I am excited to apply what the spirit has taught me!
We had Leadership Council on Friday and it was super good! President and Sister Eaton are such bosses. One of the most powerful parts was when we were talking about the hastening of the work and working with members and President was saying that this isn't just a bump of energy or excitement, "THIS IS LEADING UP TO HIS COMING" He paused after that and the spirit filled the room. This is it. For reals. Gosh it is just too good. We will be having our Zone Training on Tuesday and training on how to work with the members! Elder Cannon and I have some ideas (that we think are from God) for how we can help the missionaries here in Federal Way really catch this!
Because of Transfer, district meetings, leadership council, and conference, it seemed like we had no time to proselyte last week. So in that regard it was tough because we had some great lessons set up and they all fell through. But it is no biggie. We have an even better week set up this week and we are going to do even more to trust in God! Cause let me tell ya, we need Him! Haha
I had a tender experience after the Priesthood Session. We went with Bro. Bishop and Lati, a Marshallese less-active man who went for the first time. That was awesome itself. But we hadn't gotten to eat yet that day so Bro. Bishop took us to Subway to get some Subs real quick. When we got there there was a little commotion outside and a guy told us that the Subway had just been robbed (the "tip" box got stolen) We were the only ones in the store though. As we were preparing to order, we heard some yelling and saw a black kid walking up to the store without a shirt on, followed by two other guys. This kid was 14 years old. No shirt. And he had obviously just been beaten a little because he had a gash on his head and was bleading down his face and there was blood all over his chest. Turns out he and his friend had stolen the tips and the two guys chased him down but his friend got away. One of the guys brought him into the store. Now he had done the right thing but at this point he continued to yell and swear at this kid telling him he was stupid and worthless. His language and hatred came from no where but his own angry heart. Tears came to my eyes, and they still do, as I looked at this boy. Bloody, tired, and obviously scared and confused. Not just about the situation, but about life. I imagined what is home situation might be like and that hurt me to think about as well. A thought came to my mind, "I would rather assume the best about someone and get the worst, than assume the worst and be wrong." Gosh I love that boy. I didn't have the opportunity to say anything because we left as the situation escalated and the cops came. But Oh how badly I wish I could have relayed to that boy how much God really loves him, and even that I love him. How far his potential really goes. And I was saddened by the hate in the other man's heart, and wished I could have relayed to him what kind of influence he could have had in a young man's life if he would have assumed the best, and reached out with love. I hope that we look at every person and situation as the Savior would. Seeking to understand and love everyone for who they are and who they can become.
Well I love you all so much! I am so very grateful for all that is happening in my life! Thanks for all that you do for me! Have a week and make it great!
Elder Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment