Whats up y'all!! Things are so great here! Flew into Seattle yesterday, met President and Sister Larkin (they are the greatest ever) got interviewed at the mission home, had some lunch, did some training and role plays, and then got assigned a trainer and our first area! So here it is. My trainer and first companion out in the field is Elder Mckendrick from Tooele, Utah! And we are serving in the White River Ward in the Auburn Zone. This was the highest baptizing ward in the mission last year and we are planning on doing more than just keeping it that way. Elder Mckendrick is the man. I am super excited to serve the next 11-12 weeks with him here in this area! We have plenty of work to do but let me tell you, miracles are happening here and they are going to keep happening.
Oh and we have a car and bikes, but what we really do is RUN. Literally. This is a running mission. This is a contacting mission. We run everywhere and talk to as many people as we can while tracting! Its awesome.
So my first night here we went and visited a girl that Elder Mckendrick has been teaching for a little bit. Her name is Johanika Somayo. She is twenty years old and lives in the same complex as us. She just walked out on the balcony and we talked with her. She had been committed to be baptized last week but she back out right before. So Elder Mckendrick has talked to her a few times since but I just met her for the first time. She is worried about her family not accepting this decision of hers so we were just talking about that situation and how she can show her faith. I got to commit her to another baptismal date for Friday the 22nd! So hopefully next time you here from me, Johanika will be baptized and enjoying the incredible blessings that come from partaking in this essential ordinance!
Also, we will get to watch Brian Fasholtz baptize his wife and two daughters here in a couple of weeks! Brian has been inactive for a lot of years and has never received the Melchezidek priesthood. But he has prepared himself to baptize his family and bring them closer to Christ. What an incredible man and family. I am so happy for them! We have 5 people on date for baptism currently over the next month. Hopefully we can give them all experiences that make them want to continue to use their agency to follow Christ and this path that is meant for EVERYONE. You see we invite people to set a baptismal date during the first lesson. And then we continue to work towards that goal. Some people just are so ready and spring right into it without looking back. It takes some others longer to feel great about it. I have faith that we can get all of these people converted to Christ though and desirous to enter into the waters of baptism. People are so great. I love them. I love everyone here. So happy to be serving the Lord and so ready to WORK! Love you all and wish you the best, always! Til next time.
Also, we will get to watch Brian Fasholtz baptize his wife and two daughters here in a couple of weeks! Brian has been inactive for a lot of years and has never received the Melchezidek priesthood. But he has prepared himself to baptize his family and bring them closer to Christ. What an incredible man and family. I am so happy for them! We have 5 people on date for baptism currently over the next month. Hopefully we can give them all experiences that make them want to continue to use their agency to follow Christ and this path that is meant for EVERYONE. You see we invite people to set a baptismal date during the first lesson. And then we continue to work towards that goal. Some people just are so ready and spring right into it without looking back. It takes some others longer to feel great about it. I have faith that we can get all of these people converted to Christ though and desirous to enter into the waters of baptism. People are so great. I love them. I love everyone here. So happy to be serving the Lord and so ready to WORK! Love you all and wish you the best, always! Til next time.
To Zion! To Zion!
Elder Cook
Welcome to WA Elder Cook and specifically Bellevue -- wow, I can't believe it. I keep looking at your address and I think if you were a mile north, you'd be in my ward boundaries. I live in Redmond, but if I ever happen upon the missionaries in Bellevue, I will ask about you :-)
ReplyDeleteI loved reading about your first lady - Johanika. I don't know her, but I do know there are many like her all around. Thanks for your faith and testimony.
You Mission Field Friend and Always-Cliftonite,
Colette (Fuller)