Sunday, March 1, 2015

Email 80: Elder Jeppesen + Hylebos + Brother Schilling


Received on September 18, 2014

Yes, it is true, I am training Elder Jeppesen!! :) I felt for the week up to it that I would be, and my feelings were right! We picked up the new missionaries on Tuesday and then had a training with them. Afterwards, President Eaton had us come into his office and talk about possible trainers for each. He already had most of the decisions made and one of them was a sticky note by my picture that said "Elder Jeppesen." Such a good feeling! I have been so so blessed with an incredible companion. He is just ready to work work work and so am I! I am learning from his humility and his desire to improve. He is so willing to go and talk with people even though that it is terrifying as a new missionary. Example... Last night at 8:45 we were parked on the side of the street and I was trying to contact a member on the phone. I saw a guy a few houses down pull into his driveway. I pointed and looked at E. Jeppesen and said "go get him!" haha E. Jeppesen acted as if it was the last play of overtime. He threw everything on the floor and jumped out and took off for the guy. Too bad the made it inside quickly before E. Jeppesen could get to him. But watching him do that was one of the greatest moments ever. He has natural teaching skills and he understands what it means to teach people, not lessons.  He is a natural leader and you could see it amongst the other missionaries in the group he came out with, which is a fantastic group by the way. He is just so good and I am so grateful! :)

Hylebos is going to be incredible! There hasn't been a baptism here in 14 months... We can already feel the momentum changing though. The members here are super awesome and we are going to work very closely with them. We already have it set up to role play with the primary kids for a few minutes on Sunday, practicing inviting their friends and teachers to the Primary Program in 2 weeks! We are hoping to do a lot of role-playing with the members to help them feel comfortable and confident in taking real-life situations and turning them into powerful testimonies and invitations. We had some incredible experiences in Green River over the past couple of weeks and I really feel like it is going to be a REVOLUTION! It works miracles. Elder Jeppesen and I are just pumped to go harder than ever. I am just excited to have my own area and ward and more hours to proselyte. I will now be able to concentrate solely on Hylebos and it is going to be legit! 

We had an amazing lesson with Bro. Schilling last night as well. He is the best guy ever. He hasn't been in a church since 1991. We actually taught him for the first time last week when I was on exchange here in Hylebos. We had a lesson and read parts of the beginning of the Book of Mormon. We have just had recent training on helping people have spiritual experiences with the Book of Mormon and apply principles to their lives. We had role-played a scenario earlier that day where a person had anxiety and that kept them from coming to church. Bro. Shilling, in the lesson, brought up a very similar concern and we were completely prepared to use the Book of Mormon to help him build faith enough to face his fears. Elder Jeppesen actually caught on, even though he wasn't here for the training, and turned Bro Schilling to the scriptures. It was powerful, and now Bro. Schilling is going to come to a Church Tour on Friday and come inside the church for the first time in 13 years!!

Happy as ever in Federal Way! Thanks so much for all of the love and prayers! I love you all so much. Have a great week :) Let me know if you have any questions!

Elder Cook
 
Oh and by the way, I got pink eye last week. It is all better now.



Pink Eye


Elder Jeppesen



No comments:

Post a Comment