Sunday, March 1, 2015

Email 87: Elder Hamula's Visit + Never Give Up + MRI


Received November 12, 2014

Hey hey everyone! Thanks for all of the emails. I sure love them. Sounds like the assembly Dad spoke in was pretty awesome! Nice work D. Trials are great aren't they! Opportunities to experience the greatest power in the Universe. The power of the Atonement. Amidst any trials, let us keep our eye on Him who has been through it already. I am confident He can sooth and sustain us :)
Elder Hamula, from the First Quorum of the Seventy came to our mission for the weekend. Our half of the mission had a special conference with him on Monday and I actually got to have a personal interview with him! During the conference he taught us many things, and the Spirit answered all my questions. It was a wonderful experience. He addressed the question, How do I change me? And his answer came in three steps that really helped me:

1. Accept your Agency -- your agency is more fundamental than your thoughts and actions. Accept that everything is in your power to choose.
2. Choose to BE the person you want to become -- if you want to be kinder, speak kinder. If you want to be more charitable, serve more. If you want to have greater patience, choose to be patient. 
3. Pray with all of the energy of soul for the virtue you want to improve.
All of these must happen at the same time. It was great to learn!
In my interview with him, we talked about the Spirit vs. the Body and how that will be a battle forever, so to NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER GIVE IN. Just keep pressing forward with your eye on Christ. Make Christ the center of every decision. We then talked about Consecration, and then moved on to fear. I asked him why do I still fear to teach, and to talk with people at times. He told me very simply, "I still fear." He told me that any time he is on a mission tour and he is about to go and teach a family, right before he walks in the door, he fears. It is a fear that comes because we know what is at stake and we also know that WHAT WE DO MAKES A DIFFERENCE. And we don't want to mess up. He then taught me that he finds faith in the office to which he has been called. We have been set apart as missionaries, ordained to an office. The scriptures teach us to "Act in the office." So he said that he has found much power and strength when, even when he fears, or he is unsure, he just straightens his back, rolls his shoulders back, lifts his head up, and stares fear in the face, then walks right through it ACTING IN THE OFFICE to which he was called. Sometimes it takes a little "acting" at the beginning, but when you act in faith, that is when the Savior magnifies you. He told me to embrace the fear, stare it in the face, and walk right through it. IT was so powerful. Changed my life! I am so grateful for it.
Hylebos will be having its first baptism in 16 months on Saturday! Leo Liaina will be getting baptized. He was interviewed on Saturday and he is all set and excited! His fiancee is super excited as well. WE had a lesson with both of them yesterday about the temple and how baptism is just the beginning. Super good! 
Taylor is still progressing and will be baptized on the 29th! Bro Barner is super close! It will be a big week for him I can feel it. Thanks for praying for all of them!
I had an MRI yesterday for my back. I should get the results either today or tomorrow. I really am just confused about it, so I am just praying it is nothing serious. All will be well though! That is all the update I have for now.
I love you all so much! Have a week, make it great!!
Elder Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment